Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Smart Classroom Library Transformations

I so love that my classroom is large enough to have a small library in the corner.  I think a HUGE part of encouraging kids to read is to "sell" it.  What sells is better than a comfy couch that is also attractive?
   Last year when I arrived in my new classroom I was so happy that some generous person had donated a couch for our reading corner.  It looked like this.

Last year I found four  2 dollar fleece blankets at Wal-Mart to cover it for my Zebra Theme.
 The kids loved it.

For my nautical theme this year, I wasn't sure what to do with the couch.  I didn't want to spend a lot of money, but yet a Zebra Couch in a Nautical Theme classroom was NOT going to work.

Then last week at Target a shower curtain caught my eye.  It was even on sale!  Perfect!  I had some navy fleece at home left over from a project and  in just a few minutes--Zebra gone-hello Nautical.

While vacationing in Cincinnati I found a clearance sale pillow at IKEA!  Also, while on vacation, I found an end of the season sale on a red Adirondack chair at Kroger.  We squeezed it in the van and now it sits perfectly in the classroom library!

So, for less than $30 dollars the library has a fun new nautical look!

Where have you found some classroom library treasures?

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment