Friday, August 16, 2013

Smart Desk Designs and Rewards

The classroom desks!  Need I say more!  They are the core of the classroom--90 percent of the space probably!  Even though I rarely sit at my desk during the school day I want it to be an attractive feature of the room.  Here is how my desk looked when I arrived in my new classroom this summer--typical teacher desk!

 
I wanted to spice it up a bit even though I was pressed for time!  So I found this leftover can of chalkboard paint around the house and  . . . . 
 
the fun began!

 
After three coats of paint and a little fun with the chalk here is the result!


 What fun I will have writing messages on my desk to the class this year! 
 
Students' desks are also a major part of the room.  Even though you don't have control over what desks appear in your classroom you can manage the inside appearance! 
For the past two years we have had a desk pig--Tidy Tess.

 
 


It developed when author Kerry Hertel (an aunt of one of my students) came to our school to read her book Tidy Tess.  Now Tidy Tess is our class pet and some evenings she leaves her place in the classroom and wonders into a student's desk.  It must be a desk that is exceptional tidy!  The owner of the desk can trade her in for a reward ticket.  It is very motivating and meaningful to the kids!  Also, a great way to connect literature!

The reward tickets are a Friday Freebie in my TpT Store!  It also has a link to the book. 

Tidy Tess Desk Awards
 
What special desk features do you have this year?
 
 
Don't forget the BIG TpT Sale on Sunday and Monday!!

Happy Shopping!

Amy
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy,

    I'd like to start by saying that your Blog looks great!!! My name is Martin and I'm a teacher from Canada. I just started a new website called Resources4teaching where educators can buy and sell lessons and educational resources. We are new and are looking for people to join and put up their materials for sale on our website. We are having an iPad draw for the first 100 Vendors who join and upload at least 1 lesson /resource for sale on our website. There are absolutely no fees to join and you get to keep 70% of the profit. You can visit us at: http://www.resources4teaching.com/blog/

    If you know any other teachers who might be interested in this Website, please forward this to them and if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete