Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Using Classroom Technology in a Smart Way

I remember the purchasing of my first PC.  Amazing!  I was a teacher when the internet became a norm of life!  Super amazing!  Calling me a "techie teacher" is stretching it quite a bit . . . however at times I have been a "digital cheerleader."  Does technology motivate kids?  Is kid motivation your main objective of  using technology? I believed this at one time.  But if you have used technology long enough, like me, you soon discover the truth.  Here is a fantastic link to what I learned about motivation and technology.  It is our  weekly discussion for a class I am taking this summer--yes, a techie class.

  http://smartblogs.com/education/2012/08/17/are-kids-really-motivated-technology/

After you read the article you will discover, if you haven't already that our techie tools are essentially that--tools.  We need to use them in a smart way to achieve the best classroom results.  From my experience weaving in topics of interest with your techie tools is a must to motivate kids. 

How did my class learn perimeter?  Perimeter Pig! (on the SMARTBoard)   How was this the motivation?  The SMARTBoard is really old hat for my crew!  But for some reason they love to hear my farm stories from growing up.  When I weave a farm story into my lesson--BAMM! I've got them!  Here is my Perimeter Pig link:



 But more importantly--what can you weave into your classroom from your life that will motivate your learners and then I challenge you to connect it to technology!
    Now that's a smart way to use technology in the classroom!

                                               Happy weaving!
      
                                                                     Amy



No comments:

Post a Comment